Saturday, January 3, 2009

I heart dallas clayton

A MISSION

I wrapped a long red string
around a pole
in your front yard
It’s the pole for your cable television
I think. Or maybe your phone.
The one on the left
when you first walk out the door.

The string is a reminder
that something important must be done.
What that something is, I cannot tell you.
Nor can I say how.
All I know for sure is that it must happen,
which is why I put the string there last night
so you won’t forget.

Consider the string
each morning when you leave
and evening when you return.

You will soon know what to do.

Once you have done it
you can take the string down
with scissors
or a knife
then tie it back up
around a new pole
in a new yard
in the middle of the night.

With it
you can leave this note
just as it was left for me.

After that
things should begin to sort themselves
at a nice steady clip
from here
straight on till the end.

By: Dallas Clayton

No comments: