Saturday, November 22, 2008

what not to do if depressed...


I have stated in a previous post, that I still believe in fairytales.  Well, of late, I've been thinking about that a wee bit.  

I suppose that a fairytale, when viewed in the cold harsh light of day, is probably nothing but the unhinged ramblings of someone whose real life is in all likelihood marred by a chronic drug addiction, bizarre sexual fetishes or crippling agoraphobia.   Or not.

Moving right along.

Tonight, I watched the Sean Penn film Into the Wild.  Absolutely. Harrowing.

I won't spoil the whole plot, but it is the story of a college graduate who, upon successfully graduating university, donates the remainder of his college fund ($24,000) to Oxfam International and sets out across the United States in an effort to escape the dysfunctional family unit and *find himself*.  

Along the way, he meets an old man whose wife and son had been killed by a drunk driver some 50 years prior and who had lived his life in solitude ever since.    The boy, who has assumed the name Alexander Supertramp, and the old man spend some weeks together and become close, before the boy continues on for his final destination, Alaska.

In the scene where Alexander and the man part, the old man explains to Alex that his father and mother were only children, as was he.  He explains that when he is gone, that it will be the end of the family line.  He earnestly asks Alex, with tears rolling down his cheeks, if he could adopt him and be like his grandfather.  Alex responds "can we talk about it when I get back".   End scene.    I find myself in tears thinking about this now, even hours later.

There is nothing that pains me more than if I see an elderly person, who has lived a life as full and storied as anyone, that through the turn of fate has been left without a soul in the world to connect to.   

That being the case, and if fate and coincidence can serve up such a bastard deck of cards to leave someone alone and lonely, then surely I have to believe that the same fickle hand of fate may just come through with a happy ending.



13 comments:

fromtheworld said...

I loved "into the wild" and as you wrote, I cried when Alexander leave the old man. And I cried at the end of the movie. And I kept thinking about that movie for longtime. I saw it twice and I would watch it again.

Wait. What? said...

I liked this move allot - but I think I liked it because the main guy does things I have only dreamed of - backpacking accross county, living off the land, it is one thing to dream it and another entirely to do it.

Nice post!

Cat

UBERMOUTH said...

Congratulations! YOU have been sycophanted by the two best slime balls here- Ms Smack and Crushed.
Now, you're a blogger!

Let's just hope you can scrape the slime off.

Fusion said...

I saw this movie too, and it sure did make me think for a while after. I worry too about being alone, and don't care for the idea either. Keep thinking positively La Femme, and hopefully we both end up with the happy ending.

UBERMOUTH said...

I try and watch every Sean Penn film for he is my favourite actor.
Each film I proclaim to be his best ever until the next one.

I loved I Am Sam, but this one sounds even better. Is is out on dvd yet?

I love the charity Adopt A Grandparent. The elderly are so undervalued.

Ms Smack said...

Thanks for the recommendation of the movie. I haven't seen it, but now I'll look for it.

And by the sounds of it, I'll bring my tissues.

:)

fingers said...

Would you like to borrow my cats for your 30th birthday in case any guests don't show up ??
They are excellet company...and not big party cats...

La Femme said...

FTW: It was a great movie but I don't think I could watch it again - too depressing!

Cat: Yep I agree. Great in theory, huh?

UBER: I absolutely will not agree with slander on this blog. Keep the nasty stuff to yourself. Let's keep it light and fluffy. The movie is out on DVD, it's great you should watch it.

Fuse: I'm sure all will be good. Despite the post, I actually and very happy. Hahahahahahah.

Fingers: Aren't you gorgeous! I don't know if Jesus likes other animals though.

La Femme said...

Miss Smack: It is great, but do not watch when suffering PMT. Baaaaaaaad idea. : )

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this yet, I've picked it up once or twice at the video store but havent' taken it home. I've got to wait till I'm in that sort of 'mood' to appreciate it.

Great post...has me a thinkin'

fromtheworld said...

I didn't find the movie depressing. Sad yes, depressing no. I loved the whole idea of freedom and being in search of happiness to realize that to be happy you need to share it with someone. Of course, it is a sad movie, but I found it touching!

Moggs Tigerpaw said...

I guess the thing about “amazing but true” type fairytales, as opposed to the “honest youngest son gives the last of his food to an elderly lady who turns out to be a fairy godmother” sort, is that though unlikely they are often not impossible.

Given a large enough number of people living a large enough number of lives, and I think we all agree that there are quite a few people on the planet these days. Well given those numbers you will have true really unlikely bad luck stories and really unlikely good luck stories turn up. The sort of stuff no self respecting script writer or novelist would dare expect people to swallow.

As they say... stranger than fiction.

Ms Smack said...

I cry when Rachel sings on Neighbours, or when Harold is not well during PMT.

Thanks for the heads-up.

haha