Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sydney circa 1984


Sometimes I wish I was as gutsy today as I was at five. 

 At said age, my grandfather took me to a shopping centre for one reason or another.  It was around this time of year, and on the centre stage they were showcasing pianos, hoping that some poor bastard would cough up the cash so that their little angels would become the virtuosos they knew them to me. 

They were going for the hard sell and had just concluded the demonstration concert.  The spruiker then steps to the microphone and asks if anyone in the audience can play.  I let go of my grandfather's hand, walked up to the stage, adjusted my skirt as a lady would before sitting and proceeded to play a very enthusiastic and embellished version of "Chopsticks".  

Except I couldn't really play chopsticks and when endeavoring a particularly dramatic banging of the keys...I fell straight back off of the piano stool.  

Did I care? Hell to the no.  I readjusted my skirt, sat back down and kept right on playing.  

PS - Surprisingly, although very amused, Granddad didn't buy me the piano and my journey in to the music world was limited to a bad relationship with a keyboard player in later life.  

6 comments:

kimba said...

.. you (at five) are an inspiration..

Anonymous said...

Heheeee. I love that you got back in the (saddle) chair.

Fusion said...

we're all pretty good in that way at 5, it's the ones that can keep doing it at 15, 25, 35, etc etc that win the race. Keep working on it La Femme, at almost 50 years young, I still am ;)

La Femme said...

Kimba: Hehe. I need to try and channel back some of that bravado from time to time : )

SK: Kids hey? When I told The Boy that story. He responds: "That sounds like you". Stubborn.

Fuse: Practice makes perfect.

Judith said...

This is a phenomenal story. What happens to that set esteem?

La Femme said...

vr: Hehe. If only life remained as simple as it seem at five.