Sunday, November 16, 2008

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee


What. A. Fucking. Week.

Dear god, I am amazed I made it through it.  Work was insanely stressful and busy and to top it all off come Friday morning, I had the beginnings of a cold sore.  I am a fairly non-fuss sort of a girl, but nothing brings out my inner self obsessed princess like a bout of herpes.  Revolting.  Anyway, I have discovered the joys of Lysine - and the little bastard has all but disappeared.  Huzzah!

I am now just 4 weeks shy of 30, and am wondering how to appropriately mark the occasion.  I really am not a big party sort of a girl, so I think that I will just catch up with friends for a celebratory lunch.  It is quite odd, I have a number of different groups of friends, that are completely different from each other, that I don't think would really click if they were all together at the same time.  And I think that I would find an event that brought both groups together quite stressful.  One group are law talkers and the other group are hippies.  I wonder if I were a more well adjusted person, whether I would worry about such things?

My 30th birthday also marks my 16th year out of home.  By golly gosh how time flies.  I have gone from homeless, to teeny bopper dolly magazine model, to receptionist, to uni student, to law talker to traveler to civil and environmental rights crusader.  Whilst I still have a penchant for valium and unhealthy relationships, I can say with certainty...You've come a long way baby.

I was thinking the other day, that because of my family history andf general demeanor, I will never ever feel comfortable to have a big family wedding.  I actually grieved this fact for quite some time, but now, I like the idea that one day my beloved and I will exchange vows, at sundown, with no-one else but us.  All my life I truly believed I wanted the meat and 3 veg, traditional nuclear family...but now...I actually feel happy that my life has a bit of texture.  


La Femme sans cold sore



My latest acquisition which arrived Friday.

15 comments:

Fusion said...

Glad you survived, and 30? Huh, I have to add 20to that this next July, and I'm not looking forward to it!

BTW, you do not look 30! And that's a lovely photo of you.

And a kick ass t-shirt...

fromtheworld said...

Great picture you put on your post. For my 30th birthday I had a wonderful day. My now ex-boyfriend booked a scuba diving day for us in the south of Holland. It was a sunny warm day and I enjoyed a lot. A lunch with friends sounds good. Just do what you feel it would make you happy and don't worry too much if your friends will like each other. Maybe not, or maybe they will enjoy each others differences. Who knows. Anyway, have a good relaxing week end, it sounds like you need it.

Crushed said...

God, you're the same age as me...

Party it up, girl. My thirtieth was quite a good one.

It's funny what you say about weddings.
I don't agree with marriage is a legal institution, but sometimes think that I would be happy to do the ceremony aspect, in private, in secret at a small Catholic church somewhere in front of the priest and no one else.

Anonymous said...

That is indeed a gorgeous photo..and just like you, I love that in your thirties you start to define your life by your terms and not so much about other peoples.

Life starts becoming, just a tiny bit, more about what you would like. And I hear it only gets better.

Happy Birthday!

Catastrophe Waitress said...

lovely pic, La Femme!

so you've got 4 weeks to plan what it is that you'd like to do for your 30th birthday?

definitely not something where you have to try to gel all the different groups of friends, agreed.

you're supposed to relax and enjoy.

I'm starting to think
(having read that comment that fromtheworld wrote), accepting scuba diving gifts brings some kind of relationship doom. my now ex-boyfriend gave me a PADI scuba course for my 19th birthday and the relationship died 6 months later.

fingers said...

Ok, I see no evidence to support the accusation you're a c*nt.
Another false alarm.
Scuba diving in Holland sounds intriguing; do you just wait for the tide to roll in then dive straight off your front porch...

kimba said...

what a lovely lady..

(pardon me while I giggle at the word verification - FOCKWAT -)

is fingers offering you a european holiday for your birthday I wonder?

La Femme said...

Fuse: Aw, thanks. I find black and white photos hide the lines and age spots.

FTW: Sounds like you had a good day. I think I might just get drunk in a bar on my own. hehe.

C: I don't see how that necessitates the use of the lord's name.

SK: Thanks chicken. Yeah, I am thinking that my thirties are going to be fanbloodytastic.

TP: Yeah, I think I might be politely declining any offer for scuba lessons. Cupcakes and booze seems like a good idea to me.

Fingers: I know! It is quite obvious that I am fantastic.

Kimba: Thanks little lady. ;) I'd go anywhere with Fingers. Having said that, Id probably marry the postman (depending on the day and my mood).

Ms Smack said...

Fantastic pic and I'm totally jealous, because I have a horrible, itchy, tingling cold-sore right now!

Happy Birthday!

La Femme said...

Thanks Ms Smack. : )

You should absolutely try Lysine. I can't stop raving about it. I had about 3000 mg per and the little bugger disappeared.

I am becoming some sort of amino acid pusher.

Ms Smack said...

I do have a couple of bottles of Lysine, one in my office and one in my fridge, and every so often, when I have a big case going on, or bs in my life, I take them.

This week, however, it snuck up on me!!

Does Zorivax work for you? At first sign, I use it, and I swear it makes them worse!!

Sometimes I dab perfume on it... for the alcohol content.

La Femme said...

I find the Zovirax makes them worse too! Although, I took 4000 mg of Lysine for the first two days, and Zovirax for one day and it cleared up in no time. You can get Zovirax prescribed from the Doc as well which is super strength.

Haha - I only get a coldsore about once a year tops, sometimes every couple of years. But they are rather all consuming, aren't they? I stand with you in solidarity, sister.

Wait. What? said...

Kudos to you on your successes thus far in life - 30 was a huge one for me - I remember it somewhat fondly, so long as I don't remember the drunk I married and procreated with! ha!

I rather life a life with texture than one that is dull and bland.

Happy early Birthday to you!

Cat

(P.S. You look amazing at 30!)

Ms Smack said...

:) thanks mate!

ps. linked you. Hope it's ok.

x

La Femme said...

Miss Smack - That's just lovely :)