Monday, September 1, 2008

29 things



I was going to fill this post with 29 things that i've learnt in my 29 years.  Alas, I can nay be bothered.  So, 13 things before I'm 30 it will be:


1.    I am in a relationship with a wonderful man.  We are having some time out at the moment.  I've learnt that being in relationship with a bastard or a prince can be equally as hard in different ways.

2.    I still feel like my youth will last forever, despite numerous external indicators to the contrary. 

3.    Day time functions are best when family are involved.  (i.e. Weddings, Christmas, birthdays etc)  It is much easier to keep alchy parents sober this way.  Well, "sober" might be a stretch, but you can make an escape before the evening show.  My manic depressive Mother once bought home a random bloke and meowed like a cat, whilst on all fours, on the driveway in our middle class suburb.  These sorts of memories require a lot of years to pass and plenty of therapy before you can see the funny side.   

4.   Helping others is the best feeling in the world.  Even when you get pissed off with it all.   I worked with a homeless organisation in London for five years and after each and every event we would hold over Christmas, I would get as sick as a dog.  It remains one of the best things I've ever done.

5.   Traveling can change who you are.  But no matter how far you run, your state of mind always comes along for the ride.

6.  I can easily rationalize all of the things that I need to do to have a balanced life.  Friends, partner, work satisfaction etc.  It is extremely hard to do.  

7.  I've been a bad friend sometimes.  I get distracted and can drop off the planet.  

8.  You can't have everything.  I struggle with making good choices in my personal life, but have been successful professionally.  

9.   I am a diehard, hardcore, fall down romantic.  I like this about myself.  It is my best and my worst trait.

10.  I still really like pureed apple.  And lettuce.  I  love lettuce.   

11.   I can sometimes get so swept in what I want to be that I forget about who I am.  And I'm like, alright, innit. 

12.   Drugs were fun.  Back in the day.

13. A woman needs a room of her own.  Word up Virginia Woolf.  

I could be a number one bestseller in America, non?  I would title my book: "My ex-boyfriend stole my washing machine and other random factoids from a life reasonably lived".   The anticipation of my assured success is almost more than I can bear.  

The end. 



6 comments:

kimba said...

number 7.
Often. I wonder why. Often.
Is it insecurity and depression.. or is it like we kid ourselves, that we are too busy?

thanks.. for this list.. x

La Femme said...

I don't really know. I do know that I have to be mindful of my head, and that I can slip in to depression quite easily. I think at times I get insecure about what people think about the choices i make in my life. Sometimes Im not entirely convinced that grown up life is that far removed from the school yard. x

Anonymous said...

I loved number 5. And I don't know how I found you, but I'm glad I did!

Catastrophe Waitress said...

excellente!
i can't wait to read that book -
great title!

fromtheworld said...

I ended up on your blog just by chance. I love your list. I agree with so many points of this list!

La Femme said...

Thanks Katie Kate!

TP: I'll even sign a copy for you!

From the world: Life is a funny thing isn't it? All of our experience tends to be universal. : )