Friday, August 22, 2008

Yesterday, all my troubles...



I love old stuff.  Pictures.  Records.  Books.  I stumbled across this picture on a random search of the interweb.  I am trying to discover what Sydney was like in the 1920s.  

For these four, looks like life wasn't treating them too badly, non?  Well this is in fact their mug shot, taken at Sydney central police station after being charged with robbery.  Three of the four then went on to serve 15 months in prison.  They look so bemused by it all.    I wish I knew their stories.



This little lady to my left, was (perhaps still is, although it might be a bit of redundant job these days) a French resistance fighter during German occupation.  How bloody fantastic is that?  I have such a soft spot for the Frenchies.  It really does take tenacity to remain as feisty as they are.  Not that I like to pigeon hole people or anything.  




2 comments:

kimba said...

Groovie pics..

Sydney in the 20's? Have you read the Ruth Park Harp in the South trilogy? I read those books to some old nannas at a nanna home and they could pick out all the authentic characters and told me stories of illegal doings in the Cross that the book alluded to..
It is fiction - but it is pretty good.

Also there is a book called Mum's Up the Cross (or some such) which is meant to be inneresting..

Love your mug shot pic.. roguish looking fullas.. xx

La Femme said...

Thanks, doll! I will try and hunt down those books.

x x x