Thursday, August 21, 2008

First post


I have discovered something I dislike even more than the fact that I had to abandon my last blog due to a stalker-
esque ex boyfriend.  I came across an article in Vogue this evening which made reference to Germaine Greer's, The Female Eunuch.    It was all about sexual liberation, female emancipation; you get the gist.  

It then cited *real life* examples of women who *had it all*.  These women had broken free of the shackles of male dominated relationships, lived internationally (with three children in tow), enjoyed an astronomically successful career and were ardent environmentalists.    All the while turned out immaculately.

Now don't get me wrong.  It is empowering, and desirable, for women to be inspired by the sisterhood.  I'm a sister.  And an environmentalist.  

What is not inspiring however, is citing completely outrageous and unrealistic examples that only serve to ensure that the majority of women end up feeling guilty that they aren't *living the life*.  

Its funny that some of the most outwardly successful women I know, fuck their bosses before jumping on a long haul flight to chair a meeting on new climate change initiatives.  Go figure.  


No comments: